Friday, May 11, 2007

Sunny Day Real Estate-Diary


While it is arguable whether or not Sunny Day Real Estate's 1994 album Diary is the definitive emo album, it is hard to deny that its cover and insert contains the definitive emo album art. The cover and much of the internal artwork features Little People, the smiling toys so many of us remember from childhood, in tragic scenes ranging from a kitchen fire to a serious auto accident. Perhaps my favorite is the two Little People in bed, facing away from each other, with as much space between them as possible, sappy smiles on their faces. Oh, woe is me, even my Little People are sad. (Sniffle...sob...)

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Metal Mark said...

It's kind of disturbing. I like it some, but it's not as cool as that truck commercial with the Rock 'em Sock 'em robots.

May 10, 2007 at 10:33 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

Strangely evocative of Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstacy.

-- david

May 10, 2007 at 7:53 PM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Wow, my Little People never did that. They went to McDonald's and the Holiday Inn after taking a helicopter ride from the playground. Seriously, I think the phrase "disturbia" is more appropriate for this artwork since that's the commentary it seems to make.

May 10, 2007 at 9:55 PM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

Mark - I think it's a good bit more clever than the truck commercial, because it's so ironic. It has something to say other than just, "Buy this truck."

David - I hadn't thought of that, but I can see where you're coming from.

Ray - I think that's just the point. The Little People were always happy, but life isn't like that. Even when people smile, there might be something else under the surface. I think this artwork speaks about that.

May 12, 2007 at 9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home