Monday, May 14, 2007

Holocross-s/t

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Okay, it looks like I am going to be the first one to cast a stone and say something negative about a cover. This is the 1988 self-titled debut by Pittsburgh based spped metal band Holocross. The artist has the same last name as one of the band members and it's not a real common name. Doesn't mean they were related, but's it's possible. This cover reminds me of something you might see in about seventh grade. Some kid tells you he can draw and you believe it at first. Then you see him drawing something like this on a piece of notebook paper during math class with his chewed on number two pencil. Then you realize he can't draw anymore than you can. There is no crime in not being able to draw. However, the crime is hiring someone like that to do your album cover and paying them money to do it.

8 Comments:

Blogger bob_vinyl said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

May 13, 2007 at 9:55 PM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

That's funny, because I never thought it was a great cover, but I don't think it shows nearly the artistic incompetence of a lot of others from that same genre (Executioner's In the Name of Metal and Overkill's Under the Influence both come to mind).

May 13, 2007 at 9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's pretty bad. I've never seen that one before.

May 14, 2007 at 2:47 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

bob-I don't think Under the influence is that bad. In the name of metal is bad, but Holocross stands out as being a little worse to me.

Fred-Now the music is actually pretty interesting. It's very frantic speed metal.

May 14, 2007 at 7:07 PM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I remember a lot of New Renaissance albums having some cheap and crummy artwork. I think it's mostly the low budget they were working with, so much that At War's Ordered to Kill cover looked like fine art. At least this is one is a great album. Cover-wise, I don't find it as objectionable as everyone else, but it's not a great one, either.

I'm saving a stinker cover for either the next post or the one thereafter.

May 15, 2007 at 6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know the artist. He was in fact the brother of the guitar player. Look at their first cover art, they were at the time called Ironcross, I guess around 86.

August 29, 2007 at 1:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No. Trust me. I know for a fact, that none of the band members are related. You are right about Iron Cross though.
Their first album was called IRON CROSS - WARHEAD

November 14, 2007 at 11:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are all wrong. I did the art for the first cover for "Iron Cros" , and it was actually horrible. I'll admit it. It was a minature of the whitehouse photographed and then bad typography on it with real bad lightning bolts. I did this all while living in a broken down station wagon.
The second album "Warhead "
cover art was done by my Brother , P.J. Kacin, whio is in fact, the lead guitarist for the band.

Believe me, noone got paid for anything. The band was good though.
-Rich Kacin

January 18, 2008 at 9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home