Thursday, June 14, 2007

Massive Attack - Mezzanine


It didn't take long for trip-hop to become hopelessly mired in yearning female singers and lite dance beats. The cover of this 1998 Massive Attack release, however, perfectly symbolizes the original sound of the genre: a juxtaposition of beauty and ugliness; calmness and anxiety; peace and violence; subtlety and aggression. The beetle on the cover is, well, icky... especially to those of us who don't like creepy crawlies. But like the music within, the image twists things around and confronts us with the horrific beauty of something we might otherwise overlook.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger bob_vinyl said...

This cover has two-fold appeal to me. First, I love black and white and second, I love close-ups.

June 14, 2007 at 5:19 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

I love the music. And the cover, well ... creepy, yes--but it works for the album. A good choice.

-- david

June 14, 2007 at 5:28 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

I like it alright, but I am not is would catch my attention if I was flipping through a stack of cd's.

June 14, 2007 at 11:16 AM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Though I'm not an insect fan by any means, you make a good point, Chuck, particularly in this genre of music. It's kinda like Prodigy's Fat of the Land cover with the ugly crab that is still psychedelic and colorful, coughing up an uneasy duality, just like their music

June 14, 2007 at 10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home