Sunday, June 3, 2007

Minor Threat (s/t, Red, Complete Discography)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This is a little different as it's really the same picture used for three different albums. In 1981 DC hardcore band Minor Threat released an eight song self-titled ep and it had a red cover. I believe it was at times refered to as simply "Red" by fans although that was never an official title. In 1984 this album was re-released with the four tracks from the previously released "In my eyes" single added on. I remember having this version on cassette and it was the same picture only in blue.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Then in 1988 the "Complete discography" was released on CD. It included everything from 1984 album plus the "Out of step" album and the "Salad Days" single. It was once again the same picture in red.
I like the cover for it's simplicity yet it still stands out. I definitely prefer it in red though. The blue seems a bit too sedate yet the red seems more in your face which goes along with the music.

6 Comments:

Blogger bob_vinyl said...

For years, I thought the picture was of Ian MacKaye, but it's actally his brother Alec.

Nike used it in an add and was sued by Dischord, but I think Dischord was just looking for them to discontinue using it rather than to get paid.

Minor Threat is still one of my favorite bands. The whole straightedge thing remains important to me today. Punk album covers always had a very DIY appeal with photos taken by people in the scene rather than by a professional. As a result, covers like this tend to be very poignant.

June 4, 2007 at 12:09 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Punk rock bands seem to have a better time of pulling a band shot or individual shot on a cover than metal bands. I guess there is less posing or there was at one time.

June 5, 2007 at 10:32 AM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Poignant is hardly the word with this cover. Weirdly enough, the blue allots for more detail, but the red makes it more abstract, and as Mark says, in-your-face. Good choice here, Mark.

June 6, 2007 at 5:49 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I like the red one more, I personally own the "Complete Discography", I think the red makes it feel darker and more glum. Minor Threat IMO is the greatest Straight Edge band ever, I don't think any band in that genre even comes close.

June 7, 2007 at 9:07 AM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

Jeff, I largely agree about Minor Threat. They defined straightedge in the best terms. It wasn't holier than thou, but a call to arms to do things right. I think the message got bastardized a lot over the years into things like "Kill anyone with drugs" and that isn't the message. The essentials of straightedge can be boiled down to this: Do the right thing. The rest is detail.

June 7, 2007 at 10:03 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Bob - I agree fully, I believe I hold the straight edge philosophy considering I've never drank or done drugs and I don't engage in promiscuous sex. It is upsetting to me that the straight edge ideals have been skewed and are seen in a negative light due to some outrageous people who think the world needs to strictly follow the straight edge rules. It's a real shame since it is such a great message delivered strongly and effectively by Minor Threat.

June 7, 2007 at 9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home