Monday, May 28, 2007

Herb Alpert and the Tijuana brass-Whipped cream and other delights



Well, first I would like to say my fingers hurt from typing that whole album title. I don't own this album and have never heard it. Yet there was a time when you couldn't go to a Goodwill store or a yard sale without seeing a copy of it. The album was a huge hit for Alpert and it sold over six million copies here in the states. Dolores Erikson is the model under the whipped cream. I only had to look at a few reviews to find out that information which means it must have certainly helped her career at least initially. The album was released in 1965 so I guess this cover might have been slightly shocking for the time. Personally I think it's more strange than cool, but that's just me.

6 Comments:

Blogger David Amulet said...

Hot.

-- david

May 28, 2007 at 10:10 AM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

I think it's a brilliant album cover. It's suggestive, but not obscene. She's beautiful, yet kinda dirty. I have this, but don't listen to it (no real interest in Alpert's stuff).

Soul Asylum had a parody cover for their Clam Dip and Other Delights album. Instead of whipped cream, it was clam dip of course and instead of a beautiful female model, it featured and pasty, greasy guy.

May 28, 2007 at 10:26 AM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I've always wanted to lick the cream and see what I found beneath! My mom has this album and it's pretty good, actually, if you're into AM soft jazz. Mark, I roared over your Goodwill store and yard sale comment because it's so true!

May 28, 2007 at 11:08 AM  
Blogger taotechuck said...

That is a mighty provocative album cover, especially given that it's from one of the cheesiest musical acts in the history of man. How many lawsuits and/or claims of sexism would it have generated if, say, Ozzy had released it?

May 28, 2007 at 10:51 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

David-Doesn't do anything for me.

bob-I have seen the Soul Asylum cover. That guy probably had cats following him around for a week after he had that clam dip on him.

Ray-That's a lot of whipped cream.

Chuck-I am guessing this was a fairly surprising cover for the time and the artist.

May 29, 2007 at 2:42 PM  
Blogger John Sawyer said...

I was about 10 when this album was released, and yep, it was considered racy for its time--definitely a turn-on for a 10 year old boy. It wasn't the only album at the time with somewhat equally racy cover art--women were glamorized at least as much then as now, if not more so--but there weren't that many album covers like it. It was also considered a little odd at the time for a band as staid as Herb Alpert to have a cover like this, which added to the titillation--you were left wondering, "Hmm--here's something Herb Alpert has been hiding--what ELSE does he have in store? Maybe she'll appear onstage like that..." The titles of all the songs on the album were food-related, so it paired two things we all like--food and sex. It boosted sales, obviously.

June 3, 2007 at 1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home