Wednesday, December 24, 2008

David’s Worst and Best Album Covers of 2008

Reflecting back on 2008’s album covers, I’m struck by how boring most of them are. In fact, I had to go looking through my purchases, as well as online to see other 2008 releases, just to remember most of what came out this year.

In other words, dozens of either horrid or great covers don’t come to mind.

That’s not to say that some covers don’t deserve particular damnation and praise. So …

The worst:
Photobucket

I know next to nothing about Santogold (the stage name of singer/songwriter Santi White) or this self-titled album. I just saw the cover and thought that it’s one of the dumbest I’ve ever seen.

The best:
Photobucket

I love this cover. Metallica hit one out of the park with the simple yet striking design. Even better, the coffin opening carries through in the CD booklet, playing a role in each piece of art inside. Classic.

Happy holidays to all.

6 Comments:

Blogger bob_vinyl said...

I'm glad someone else liked the Death Magnetic cover. I love how it's understated and almost diy looking, yet it's clear that it isn't amateur. I haven't bought it yet, because I vowed to never give Metallica another cent after Napster, but I'll eventually pick up a used copy.

December 24, 2008 at 9:12 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Yes, the Santogold cover is rotten. Like someone spilled some glitter and mud on it.

I can't agree with Metallica though. It's not their worst, but I thought it was an undertaker's butt hole or something.

December 24, 2008 at 11:41 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

The cover brings back positive memories from childhood of playing with magnets and metal filings.

(The Metallica one, of course ...)

December 24, 2008 at 1:22 PM  
Blogger Sean said...

Anything labeled "Metallica" makes me ill upon sight.

December 24, 2008 at 6:42 PM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

Sean, you didn't like the first three albums? Or are you just so sick of what they've become that it ruined even their great earlier material?

December 24, 2008 at 11:52 PM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I have to say I liked the coffin cutting into the pages and burying itself deeper and into a smaller width...pretty cool... That other one, is she vomiting bees? blech

December 31, 2008 at 7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home