Monday, September 1, 2008

Steve Hackett, To Watch the Storms


Back in July, I placed Dream Theater’s Train of Thought in the spotlight. One reason: Its prominent eyeball, front and center.

Perhaps I have an eye fetish. Or maybe I’m just seeking to restore some balance to the world’s ophthalmologic karma. Either way, my quirks lead me to present this post’s cover from ex-Genesis guitarist Steve Hackett’s 2003 album To Watch the Storms—a modern prog rock classic that gives us a different take on sight.

Like most of Hackett’s solo efforts since his debut album in 1975, the cover art here was created by his then-wife Kim Poor, to whom he had been married more than 30 years until their recent divorce. It’s a haunting image, reflecting the album’s evocative music and hearkening back to some of Poor’s art for his earlier albums.

Oh yes, the face also provides a handy home for Dream Theater’s stray eyeball. How convenient.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I also recommend Porcupine Tree's "In Absentia" album to go with your 'eye' theme. (my apologies if it is archived and i missed it).

September 10, 2008 at 7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home