Friday, October 31, 2008

Misfits



For me, the Misfits are as much a part of Halloween as trick-or-treating and jack-o-lanterns. Rather than post just one cover, I thought I'd hit a few of my favorites from Glenn, Doyle, Jerry and their various cohorts over the years.

Just like the music (and the 50s B horror movies that inspired it), the Misfits' album covers are unapologetic in their cheesiness, yet there is still something creatively ominous about them. Walk Among Us has that great 50s sci-fi style. Legacy of Brutality features the Crimson Ghost, perhaps the second most closely associated band mascot after Iron Maiden's Eddie, though he oddly didn't show up on every cover. Earth AD is perhaps the best artwork featured on any Misfits cover. I always loved how the woman's skull shows through the glass on Die, Die My Darling. The Crimson Ghost shows up again on Collection II, but this time as a photo of the real Crimson Ghost whom the band adopted. Finally, my personal favorite (and one particularly appropriate in yet another election season where we're asked to pick between bad and worse), Bullet, whose shocking image is mild compared to the song's lyrics.

I hope everyone's Halloween is as fun and goofy (and just a little bit scary) as the Misfits!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Metal Mark said...

The Misfits had some great covers. I think "Walk among us" with the spider-bat from "Angry Red Planet". Not a good movie, but the monster looks good on the album cover.

October 31, 2008 at 6:17 AM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I'm disappointed with myself for not having time to spin some Misfits this year

November 1, 2008 at 9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home