Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Bruce Dickinson, Tyranny of Souls



Talk about a guy who keeps busy: Bruce Dickinson has been up to a lot in the past few years.

He’s recorded a couple of studio albums and toured with Iron Maiden, which most people would consider enough. But not Bruce. He’s also spent time writing, fencing, and even flying Boeing 747 airplanes commercially.

Yes, really.

And he still had enough time in 2005 to record Tyranny of Souls, arguably his best solo album.

The striking cover uses art by 15th century painter Hans Memling. Although most of Memling’s work was standard religious depictions of the era, one panel of the Triptych of Earthly Vanity and Divine Salvation must have caught Dickinson’s eye.

It’s dark, creepy, and haunting. Perfect for Halloween week.

4 Comments:

Blogger Metal Mark said...

Believe it or not the only one of Bruce's solo albums that I have heard was the first one. it was lousy and yes I know that most people say the others are better, but I have just steered clear of them so far.

October 28, 2008 at 8:22 AM  
Blogger Sean said...

I like soem of the stuff on Tattooed Millionaire but Accident of Birth is my fave. I saw that tour with Adrian on guitar and got to hang out with them for a bit. Good times. Skunkworks also has a few gems. I didn't like the Chemical Whimping or Balls to Picasso at all. Tyranny of Souls is a damned good one too.

October 28, 2008 at 10:20 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

Mark: I'd start with Accident of Birth, which is quite good. Chemical Wedding has a few really goods tracks, too (even if Sean disagrees with me on that). Tyranny of Souls was surprisingly good--a few weak spots, but one of the better albums from 2005, IMO.

October 28, 2008 at 1:22 PM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

yeah, I liked this one pretty much too

October 29, 2008 at 5:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home