Sunday, January 25, 2009

KISS and Manowar

Here is KISS-Destroyer from 1976.

Photobucket


Here is Manowar-Fighting the world from 1987.

Photobucket

Both were done by fantasy artist Ken Kelly. So my question is was the Manowar cover done just because they wanted to be like KISS or was Kelly running out of ideas so he "borrowed" from his previous work? I have no idea. Maybe it doesn't matter. Both have a high cheese content, but the KISS cover works better for me. To me their cover says "we are goofy and over the top, but we know it". While Manowar's cover seems to be saying "we are very manly men even though we have long hair, shaved chests and custom made leather outfits". I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder though.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I think Paul's off to see the Wizard, while Ace is answering the hypothetical question of "Who's going to have the best solo album upcoming?"

February 4, 2009 at 1:29 AM  
Blogger Rockin' Jeff said...

I don't know the Manowar album, but Kiss' Destroyer is one of my fave rock and roll albums of all time.

When i was in the first grade in 1977 (the album was brand new then) I took my LP to school for show-and-tell. My mother wrote my name and classroom number on the front cover in magic marker. You cant make this stuff up...
30+ years later and i still own that copy! And still listen to it. It was a long time ago, but i think the teacher let the class listen to all of Detroit Rock City.... I was the coolest kid in school that day, that's for sure.

February 27, 2009 at 4:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DUDE!
I went to my kindergarten Halloween party dressed as Paul Stanley.
Destroyer shaped how I hear music today. Now I am an audio engineer, and a musician that performs on stage with make-up. Go figure!

June 30, 2012 at 1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home