Thursday, June 28, 2007

George Michael - Listen Without Prejudice Vol I


A dramatically cropped version of Weegee's "Crowd at Coney Island" (original photo) is a complete contrast to the murder photo that graces the cover of John Zorn's Naked City. Everything that identified the location as Coney Island was removed, leaving an almost abstract mass of happy people celebrating in the summertime. There were many possible interpretations as to how the album title and photo fit together. When I finally managed to put aside my disgust for George Michael and listen to the album without any prejudice, I was amazed by the richness and depth it contained.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger bob_vinyl said...

This is another great cover without the artist's name or logo anywhere on it. I have to wonder whether the point was that a mass of people could get together for fun (without prejudice) or was it a criticism of how we are prejudiced (note that it's a completely white crowd). Who knows. It's a great cover though and a great album.

June 28, 2007 at 7:14 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

I like because it really makes you focus to really see anyone.

June 28, 2007 at 3:46 PM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

George Michael aside ... this is a really good cover.

-- david

June 29, 2007 at 9:48 AM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

This pic is in my Weegee book and I saw the original at that exhibit in Ohio. I can see why George Michael chose it, because I couldn't take my eyes off of it, pondering how much humanity was crammed into Coney Island, even when the population was triple less than it is now. Now that I've been to Coney Island, I really have a better appreciation for it, too. Michael really chose well here.

June 30, 2007 at 11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home