Sunday, August 19, 2007

Priestess-Hello, Master

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This cover is from just last year. Although it's obviously done to look more like a 1970's style. It makes me think of not only album covers from that time, but also of science fiction and fantasy book covers from that decade. The artwork was done by Arik Roper who has done album covers, shirts and poster art for Sleep, High on fire and other artists. The giant hand concept also reminds me of Rainbow's Rising and the position of the hand reminds me a little of Judas Priest's British Steel.

Arik Roper's site is here http://www.arikroper.com/

5 Comments:

Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I like the Frazetta-inspired fantasy-apocalypse aspect of this, plus it's a pretty good album too.

August 21, 2007 at 6:52 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

I love it! One of the best quick-look covers I've seen.

-- david

August 21, 2007 at 6:59 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Ray-His landscapes are better than most.

David-I agree.

August 22, 2007 at 5:51 AM  
Blogger taotechuck said...

This is going to sound stupid to most people, but I love the fact that the band's name appears to be hand drawn rather than some lame-ass font that Arik Roper got with Illustrator. For instance, the bar on the first "e" is much thinner than the bar on the second "e". I love that kind of stuff.

The artwork as a whole doesn't do a lot for me, but I recognize that it's pretty damned good.

August 22, 2007 at 11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this cover is pretty clearly a reference to Rainbow's "Rising" album cover.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h214/Donatus_maximus/RainbowRising.jpg

there are a number of other "tribute"/rip-off covers out there, too...

December 4, 2008 at 3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home