Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Mother's Milk



In my ever-so-humble opinion, this is the Chilis' masterwork despite the presence of two cover tunes, albeit The Uplift Mofo Party Plan gives it a major run and Freaky Styley is likewise a good contender. This is also the tour I saw the Chilis on and it remains the greatest rock spectacle I've ever seen. Don't know or don't care what instigated that fireball energy from their relentless performance, but wowzers...

If I remember right from Anthony Keidis' autobiography Scar Tissue, the model on this cover was none too pleased being plastered on the album. Somewhere out there an uncensored print (sans rose, of course) exists, which I'm sure would really piss the poor lass off if confronted by it. It's erotic, yes, but tastefully so, although you can't be an even judge in this girl's shoes.

Nevertheless, this is a groovy cool psychedelic image from a band in the final wake of their one-time renowned slapdash funk-punk before they mellowed out thereafter. Nothing has been the same since Mother's Milk, though I'm sure for the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the jacked-up sales since Blood Sugar Sex Magik more than compensates in their eyes.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger bob_vinyl said...

This is definitely my favorite of theirs, both the cover and the music. It's one I'm glad I have in all its 12" glory.

May 5, 2009 at 9:07 PM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

killer! I used to have a miniposter of it before it fell apart

May 27, 2009 at 10:20 PM  
Blogger Madison Laine. said...

this actually happens to me my mother. she is the most beautiful woman on the earth. she was happy with being on the cover but the contract made sure there was a rose. they broke that contract.

July 16, 2009 at 7:19 PM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Madison, thank you very much for leaving your comment here. It's very sobering to see someone related to this model--much less her actual--daughter stand up and speak on her behalf. Amazing to think this cover is nearly 20 years old alright. Your mother is indeed beautiful. Take care, don't be a stranger.

July 16, 2009 at 7:56 PM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

How did they break the contract if the image without the rose was a leak? They released the album and the promo material with the rose as the contract apparently stated. It seems that they adhered to the contract and someone else got hold of the pre-rose image. That stuff happens. People are rude.

It's her call, of course, but even without the rose, I don't think the picture would be dirty in any way. I think it's such a cool image, because she's at once maternal and sexy.

July 17, 2009 at 11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home