Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Exciter - Unveiling the Wicked



I've always loved this cover. It's so metal, and yet there's something a tad different about it. No skulls, no goat heads, no pentagrams, no devil horns, just sheer terror in a mildly gruesome way. I remember yelling out "Exciter!" when Mark and I saw Trick Or Treat in the theater and Ragman's mom is sifting through his albums. Oddly enough, we were the only metal guys in the theater that day. The rest were just horror fans and guys with their girlfriends. Wasn't that crowded, to my recollection. But shit, to see this cover, Megadeth, Exodus and Impaler in that sequence was a quiet triumph for the underground then.

5 Comments:

Blogger Metal Mark said...

I didn't see Trick or treat in the theater. I think you saw it with Scott Lucas. This cover reminds me of the "V" mini-series which was only a few years old at the time. Unfortunately this album marks a slight shift away from speed metal for Exciter and they had changed guitarists. In that scene in Trick or treat they make a mistake because you will see the albums in Eddie's mom's hand in a different when they switch angle and then it jumps back. I think Possessed and Savatage albums were in that scene as well.

July 3, 2007 at 5:28 AM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

I suspect this one appeals more to horror fans than it does to me. Still, it's not a bad cover for that kinda thing. It stays on the good side of the cheesy line, at least as far as horror-influenced covers go.

July 3, 2007 at 6:01 AM  
Blogger The Dragon of M87 said...

This is a total reminder of "V"!! I liked Exciter prior to this release. They also happened to be the first band that I ever saw live.

July 5, 2007 at 11:10 AM  
Blogger taotechuck said...

I'm all for an album cover that unveils the evil creature lurking in each of us. Unfortunately, they lost me when they portrayed that evil creature as a cross between the wicked witch from The Wizard of Oz, a cat, and a pickle.

July 5, 2007 at 12:20 PM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Hell, Mark, I swore that was you with me. Maybe the grey matter's going soft on me. You're right about Possessed and Savatage. Good pull.

Bob, I think you hit it. I believe Exciter was making the best use of cheap applicants in order to make a cheeky horror image, knowing it wasn't a technically advanced gore effect...it makes its point and laughs about it, in my opinion, though Chuck, you had me rolling with that pickle!

Looks like Mark and Dschalek are in agreement of V. I remember watching the miniseries but not the show. I liked it well enough back then.

July 7, 2007 at 6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home