Thursday, August 23, 2007

White Lion - Big Game



Thanks to the Greenpeace-inspired "Little Fighter" and the image of the White House on the cover, this is what passed for political music in the hair metal scene. I was living in L.A. just after this came out, and the conversations went something like this:

Hair Metal Bonehead #1: That White Lion album is totally political, dude.
Hair Metal Bonehead #2: It's awesome that they're, you know, like, taking a stand and singing about the way that one Greenpeace ship, Little Fighter, got sunk by a Russian submarine.
HMB #1: My band toured Greenpeace last summer. Right after we played Japan. Japanese girls are hot.
HMB #2: Our song "Wet Pussy Kat" was number 1 in Greenpeace. That song was a huge hit. It's cool, because it's, like, totally political. It's about how chicks should be equal to guys.
HMB #1: At least the hot ones should be.
HMB #2: Whoa, check out that babe over there, I totally banged her in the bathroom of Gazzarri's at the Byte The Bullet show last weekend.

It's really sad to think that, in mainstream America circa 1989, some cheesy cover art and a song about the Rainbow Warrior is all it took to label a band as activists.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger bob_vinyl said...

I think I saw this album cover as a little kid in Highlights magazine's hidden picture feature. Can you find the hidden lion? Can you find the hidden White House? Very good. Now, can you find the good songs? No? Neither can I.

August 23, 2007 at 6:43 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

I thought the only causes White Lion supported were themselves and the companies that provided the various hair care products they used in mass quantities.

August 23, 2007 at 10:03 AM  
Blogger Chris Morris said...

Sorry to say...but I think I just pooped myself at the memory of the band White Lion.

"Wait. Wait. I never got a chance to laaf you."

August 23, 2007 at 11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

August 24, 2007 at 12:03 AM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Man, one hilarious anecdote after another, until that weird spammer at the end. Oh, that Mike, he's such a Tramp!

Where's my Golden Earring copy of "Radar Love?"

August 24, 2007 at 5:37 AM  
Blogger The Lone Beader® said...

I like this one!!

August 24, 2007 at 5:11 PM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

Funny, I never thought this was that political. It just didn't occur to me.

I just liked the lion in the grass presented next to the White House because the two things just didn't really go together. Unless you called President Reagan "Ronald the Lion-hearted."

-- david

August 26, 2007 at 2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is what the album cover would look like if a bunch of pro wresters got together

August 27, 2007 at 4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home