Saturday, September 22, 2007

Flotsam and Jetsam - No Place For Disgrace



After meeting my wife for dinner, I trolled the mall music store, and though I was laughing at most of the obscene prices, there were, admittedly, plenty of bargains if you take the time to scout. I found this little nugget for $5.99 and I remember how much I always stared at the album cover and thought about how senseless the art of bushido was, at least in the mandate that a disgraced warrior commit seppuku (or suicide) to atone. Later on in life I would go on to write a three-part serial for a superhero journal that I entitled "Kyoto Bushido" and frequently I thought about the No Place For Disgrace album cover and seppuku and how the warrior would not only have to gut himself, but he'd be required to have another samurai lop his head off to make sure his penalty was paid in full. Some things are beyond our civilized comprehension, because surely I've disgraced myself countless times, but disemboweling myself? I don't think so, though I'm pretty sure there a few out there who wouldn't mind being the one holding the wakizashi to behead me...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I own this album and likewise have often pondered the album cover. This one I seem to recall had one nugget that referred to the cover art. It was actually one of the better tracks. Something like, "Gracefully, with steady hand draws the blade that helps him die. Honor is done and now his head rolls, blah blah blah."

Cool cover art though. No questions. Interestingly, the drummer in this band is from a town 3 miles from me called, Badin, NC. Small world.

March 25, 2008 at 4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was like 16 (when that album came out), that album cover was the best ever! Totally bad ass! To me it was just about being hard, you know, tough and yet with honor. That's all. But in retrospect, if they were samurai, they spent a LOT of time doing pectoral work in the gym, perhaps even more time spent than in sword practice. ;-) Could be a disadvantage on the battlefield...

April 2, 2008 at 2:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home